Features and functions
The Check-Out function copies the current or several version(s) of a component (e.g. an S7 project) from the server archive to the client archive (working directory) on your local PC.
Note that the versiondog system, based solely on the check-out function on components.
- A check-Out always imports a complete copy of the component. Parts of a component cannot be checked out. Several components can be checked out during a Check-out operation.
- Components can only be checked out if there is a connection to the server.
Prior to the check-out, be aware of the different view options in the Project tree:
The button displays all directories that exist on the server. Directories that have not been checked out are shown in gray.
- Logical view
- Lifecycle view
- Physical view
The logical view shows all elements in a project that can be compared. The Logical view depends on the comparator defined for the component type.
The Lifecycle view shows the complete life cycle of a project at a glance, i.e. all versions of a component except the basic version are displayed.
The Physical view displays the physical order as is shown in the file manager. The components are displayed with the symbol of their respective component type.
Checking out components
- In the Project tree, select the component.
- Go to Start and then click on Check-Out.
- The Check-Out will be opened with the selected components.
- Click on Check-Out and close.
- When the component is finished checking out, a pop-up window opens in the notification area with the result of checking out.
The display of the pop-up window after a successful check-out can be activated or deactivated via the Client Settings (see section Client Settings).
Once the component has been checked out, the component type symbol will be displayed in color in the project tree.
Editing the working directory
Open the working directory in the file manager via the ribbon in the Start tab, or via the right mouse button (option Show in file manager) or via the key combination Ctrl+E.
You can configure which file manager is used by default in the Client Settings dialog. For more information, see the tutorial Client Settings.
If you want to see the size or packed size of your project before checking out, proceed as follows:
- Right-click the line containing the entries Version, Tags, etc. in the Change history tab.
- From the drop-down list, select Size or Packed size.
- The size of all projects will now be displayed in the window Change history in the preselection.
FAQ: How can I calculate the packed size or the size of the components afterwards?
For the first step, you will need to create a backup of the entire server archive. This is because the tools change nearly every file in the server archive.
The necessary program VDogArchiveCheck is automatically included in the server installation folder as of version 7.5 and no longer needs to be downloaded separately.
versiondog can continue to run.
Depending on the size of the archive, the time needed to execute the tool can take longer.