Creating jobs for PLC 5 controllers
- Start the AdminClient and then open the Jobs module.
- In the Project tree, select the RSLogix5 component.
- In the menu tab, click on Create or drag & drop the components into the Jobs section.
- Check in the section job configuration, if the upload type RSLogix 5 is being displayed.
- Go to the section Job configuration
- Make sure the desired settings are in place for the following sections: General, Notification, Upload and compare, Create a version automatically after job run. The Notification and Create a version automatically after job run sections are only displayed if the necessary settings have been implemented. For more information on configuring the general sections, see Jobs in the tutorial AdminClient.
- Configure the section RSLogix 5 settings
- The RSP File of the RSLogix 5 project should have been automatically selected. This is located under Project. If this is not the case, select this file from the drop-down list.
- In Communications path, enter the gateway data. Depending on the software in use (RSLinx, Classic or FactoryTalk Link), there are different ways of doing this:
- Open the FactoryTalk Linx Browser tool and right click on the project. This will in turn open the project’s configuration.
- Here, copy the path of the path (device path). This can be for example RSLinx Enterprise!Ethernet\10.0.220.145. The RSLinx Enterprise! part of the path is optional.
- Enter the path into the Communications path field. This is located in the job configuration.
- In order to select the path to the PLC, click on Search in Communications path.
- Communications path will open. Then select the PLC that you want to be saved by the job.
Enter the path to the PLC manually. The path can be found in RSLinx Classic. The path has the following format: xxx!yyy.
Proceed as follows:
If you are using RSLinx Classic and are using it on the same machine as your versiondog server,
proceed as follows:
If you are using RSLinx Classic and are not using it on the same machine as your versiondog server:
Proceed as follows:
- xxx is the name of the computer running RSLinx Classic.
- yyy is the name of the configuration for the PLC in RSLinx Classic.
- Do not forget the Separator !between both parts of the path.
- Open RSLogix 5.
- Double click on Controller properties in the project tree.
- Open Controller communications.
- Copy the text Comms path.
- Enter the text into the section Access path. This is located in the job configuration in the AdminClient.
To be able to process password protected projects, the editor needs to be opened in English.
A displayed warning can be useful. This can, for example, be useful when using manual control at your facilities and there is the chance that the forced values could be overseen.
The job result (Backup) can be used for a detailed comparison, a disaster recovery and further processing.
Configuring a timeout
When uploading large amounts of data, a timeout may occur despite the default time being preset at 30 minutes. This timeout can be adjusted globally for all upload types or each upload type separately.To adjust the maximum time for job execution according to the upload type, proceed as follows:
- Start the AdminClient and open the Jobs module.
- In the menu, click on Job settings.
- The window Upload specific configuration will then open.
- Select the upload type in the navigation bar on the left.
- Select the checkbox Use specific timeout for this upload type.
- In the Maximum time for job execution field, enter the time period in minutes. The maximum possible value is 540 minutes.
If you do not select the checkbox Use specific timeout for this upload type, the next time you change the global timeout, the value set here will be overwritten by the global one.
Alternatively you can adjust the timeout via the INI file Classes.ini (..\<vdArchive>\VD$A\Configuration\Upload\Classes.ini). For more information, please refer to the INI files section in the AdminClient tutorial.
The value entered in the Upload Type Specific Configuration window will then be copied into the INI file.
FAQ: why does the upload freeze when I upload a password protected RSLogix 5 project?
versiondog remotely steers the editor when uploading a project and enters the password when required. It may be necessary to run versiondog under the system account and with the option Allow data exchange between service and desktop (user interactivity) activated.
Proceed as follows: