Installation - step by step guide
- Open the versiondog client setup directory and execute the program Setup.exe. Select the option execute as administrator by right clicking on the file.
- The installation wizard will then start. In the first dialogue, select the language.
- On the welcome page of the setup wizard, no steps are required. Read the text and then click on Next.
- Then in Install versiondog applications, click on Next.
- In the License Agreement dialog box, select I agree to proceed with the installation.
- Then select Install client applications and click on Next.
- In the next dialog box, select from the following options:
- In the next dialog, either accept the default path for the versiondog client applications directory or specify a path of your choice.
If the path to the directory is being displayed in grey, it is not active.When entering another path, please pay attention to the following:
- The applications cannot be installed in the root directory of a drive (there must therefore be at least one directory in the path).
- You need to specify a target directory for the client applications (vdogClient by default).
- The target directory may only contain the versiondog client applications.
- Do not select the Desktop as the target directory (an exclusive use would not be possible here).
- Do not select the file Programm as the target directory (an exclusive use would not be possible here).
- In the next dialog box Path to local client archive, either accept the default path for the versiondog client application directory or enter a path of your choice. The client archive directory must be located on a local drive of your computer. Once you have installed the BackupClient, the dialogue Path to the local backup archive (of the BackupClient) is enabled and you can now accept or modify the path to the BackupClient in the same way.
- In the next dialog, the option to grant the Windows user group All users access to the versiondog client archive is selected by default - otherwise deactivate this option.
- In the next dialog, you will need to decide which shortcuts you want to install for the versiondog client applications:
- The storage location, that has been selected for programm files and the client archive, will be displayed for you to check:
- Start the installation by clicking on next.
- Once the client application has been successfully installed, the dialogue Installation successful! will be displayed. Click on Finish.
In Windows 10, the desktop shortcuts of the versiondog client applications are displayed for all users of a computer, if the program Setup.exe is started with the option execute as Administrator (provided that the shortcuts were created during installation- see step 11). If this option is not selected, the desktop shortcuts are displayed only for the user who ran the Setup.exe program.
The BackupClient is used to make backups for automation devices that can only be accessed by the versiondog system. For more information, see BackupClient.
This option is available at no extra cost. If you now install BackupClient but never use it on this PC, this will have no negative effects. It is always possible to install the BackupClient at a later date.
The BackupClient cannot be installed on the machine on which the versiondog server is running.
The LibraryManagement is a version management tool for standard blocks and currently available for Siemens S7, Siemens TIA Portal and RSLogix 5000. For more information, see the LibraryManagement tutorial.
The LibraryManagement is an add-on and therefore requires a separate license.
If you install LibraryManagement without a license, this will have no negative effects. When you call up LibraryManagement, you will receive a message informing you that this function is not included in your license. A subsequent installation of LibraryManagement is possible at any time.
Register file extension for SmartImport for supplier projects
This option allows you to send versiondog projects via email to suppliers and customers who do not use versiondog or do not have access to your versiondog server. For more information, see the UserClient tutorial, section Working with external programmers.
If the option has been activated, an entry will be written into the Windows Registry, which makes it possible to open a versiondog delivery bill for suppliers (file of the type *.vdog-sdn) in the file manager. If the option has not been enabled, no registry entry will be written and files of type *.vdog-sdn can be opened only through the UserClient.
The registration of the file extension can also be done or undone in the UserClient, in the Client Settings dialog, located under the Extensions tab.
Register protocol extension to start versiondog via web link
If you have enabled this option, you will be able to start the UserClient from the browser via a weblink. The weblink has the format vdog:cid/<CID>, where <CID> is the component ID of the system.
The registration of the protocol extension can also be done or undone in the UserClient, under the Client Settings dialog in the Extensions tab.
To change the directory of the client archive, proceed as follows:
If the client archive is on a network share (for example, if you are working with Citrix), proceed as follows:
Important: Set up the program directory and the client archive as a network share.
No more than one client can work with any one client archive (i.e. each client needs a separate archive to which it has exclusive access).
|First call– important information on server configuration|
|FAQ: The process failed when I tried to install the versiondog server. Why has this happened?|