Based on the procedure for upload type SIMATIC S7, you will be shown an example of a job configuration. For other upload types, there are specific variations in the job configuration. These can be found in the device specific tutorials available: Device-specific tutorials.)
Section: Job configuration
- Start the AdminClient and open the Jobs module.
- In the Project tree, select the component for which you want to create the job.
- In the menu tab, click on Create or drag & drop the components into the Jobs section.
- Check in the Job configuration (right side) if the preselected Upload type is the one that you want to use.
- When selecting Execute, you need to decide if the job is to be executed according to Scheduled, Not scheduled, Using versiondog BackupClient or Triggered by URL*.
* From versiondog version 8.0, you have the option to trigger a job using a OPC variable. This functionality is an add-on and therefore requires additional licensing. A more detailed description can be found in the tutorial Job trigger via OPC UA.
- Job name: Give your job a descriptive name (limited to 64 characters).
- Components: Under Components, select the path to your component in the Project tree.
- Warning when the Backup is older than: Select an age for the backup from the dropdown if required. The default is Never warn.
- On error: Select from the dropdown list whether and when to retry the job if an error arises.
- Execution via: When using parallel servers, select the server on which the upload will be performed.
The Notification section is displayed only if you have specified in the Upload Type-Specific Configuration window that job-specific or daily emails are to be sent for job execution. For more information, click here.
- When you click on the field Who to notify.
- The dialogue who to notify will open.
- Select the users and user groups to be notified and click the appropriate checkboxes.
- E-mail recipients who are not versiondog users can be entered in the field Additional email addresses. Enter multiple users seperately with commas.
Section: Upload and Compare
- Save policy: The following options are available to you:
- Always save backup (overwriting previous backup if equal):
Use this option if you want to create a maximum of one backup. It contains the current values and all other files that are ignored during the comparison.
- Save backup only if different to previous backup:
Use this option if you only want to add a new backup, when a change is detected (which depends on what values are included in the compare process)
- Always save backup (keeping previous backup even if equal):
Use this option if you want to add a new backup every time a job is executed. If your traceability rules require you to keep backups for at least a year, you will need to make sure that the number of remaining backups (Rollover) is set based on your backup frequency. Bear in mind that use of this save policy with a high rollever number could result in a lot of disk space being used up.
Remember that when you use an agent, all user ID information and paths relate to the computer on which the agent is installed and the not the server. If you later specify a username or a network path, you need to make sure that this user exists on the computer on which the agent is installed or that the network path is accessible from the computer in question.
This contains the following options:
- Server version <-> Backup, Previous backup <-> backup
The backup of the (online) version on the device is first compared with the last checked-in version of the project, this backup is then compared to the last backup.
This option can give you more information than any other. It is however important to think carefully when interpreting the results.
- If the backup is different from the previous backup, but the same as the last checked-in version of the project, this indicates that a version was developed in the project, checked-in then deployed to the device (This is the recommended workflow).
- If the backup is different from the last checked-in version of the project, but the same as the previous backup, this indicates that a new version of the project has been created and checked-in, but not yet deployed to the device.
- If the backup is different to both the last checked-in version of the project and the previous backup, this indicates that a new version of the project has been developed and deployed to the device, but not yet versioned and checked-in.
- Server version <-> Backup
The program running on the device is compared with the latest checked in version of the project. Job results are not be compared. We recommend using this option if the versiondog system Always detects differences between backup and previous backup (regardless of the compare configuration). In this case, there is no point running the comparison.
- Previous backup <-> backup
The program running on the device is compared with the previous backup. It is not compared with the newest version.
Detecting a difference here could mean one of the following things:
- A new version of the project has been developed and deployed to the device.
- Actual or forced values were not ignored during the comparison (through which the backup always differs from the previous backup).
- The program on the device was changed. You can find out what was changed by using versiondog's compare functionality.
This section is only displayed if in the window Upload specific configuration
- the option Enable automatic creation of a version in the General tab has been activated, and
- if in the tab of the corresponding upload type, the option Enable automatic creation of a version has been selected.
For more information on upload specific configuration, please refer to the section Adding additional job settings.
Create version when: In the drop-down list, you can specify when a new version of the component should be created automatically:
- Never: No versions will be automatically created
- Differences found (Server version <-> Backup): A new version is produced automatically if differences between the server version and backup are detected
- No base version exists: If no base version exists, a base version will be created independant of the job status
- Always: If the job has been successfully executed, a new version will be automatically created. If an error occurs during execution, a new version will not be created.
Section: Job information
In this section, you will be find the Job ID and the component ID. These are for example relevant for Scripting.
Section: SIMATIC S7 Settings
Configure the settings for your chosen upload type.
For further information regarding job configuration for individual jobs, please refer to Device specific tutorials in versiondog INFO.
Section: Configure the section Access path details
Select the Access path you want to use for communication with the controller. For more information, see Tutorial SIMATIC S7 > section: Configure access path.
Reduce network load and exclude defined blocks from comparison. For more information, see Tutorial SIMATIC S7 under 7. Configure the section Backup.
Change the TCP/IP port, specify a CPU password, configure retries on failed uploads, and specify waiting times between data packets. For more information, see Tutorial SIMATIC S7 under 8. Configure the section Advanced.
|FAQ: Can I set up the versiondog server to backup one device after the other (never multiple devices at once)?
You can set the backup time so that your devices are backed up with a time delay (to do so, go to AdminClient > Jobs > Job configuration > General > Schedule).
Alternatively, you can set the number of uploads that can be performed simultaneously. Proceed as follows:
The values in the example mean that never more than one backup is created at a time.
The number of comparisons that may be executed in parallel can be configured as follows:
The values in the example mean that never more than two comparisons are carried out simultaneously.
This problem could be occurring because the agent do not have the administrative rights required for an application that needs to be opened for the job to run.
To ensure that the log-on account for the agent is correctly set, proceed as follows:
To find the Job ID, proceed as follows:
Proceed as follows to copy the job ID to the clipboard:
For more information on Job configuration for the General upload types, see the following sections.