Job configuration upload type FTP (FTP jobs)
Jobs with the FTP upload type provide access to an FTP server.
In the Project tree, select the component.
- In the menu tab, click on Create or drag & drop the components into the Jobs section.
Check in the section Job configuration, if the upload type FTP is being displayed.
- Make sure the desired settings are in place for the following sections: General, Notification, Upload and compare, Create a version automatically after job run. The Notification and Create a version automatically after job run sections are only displayed if the necessary settings have been implemented. For more information on configuring the general sections, please refer to Configuring general job settings.
Section FTP Settings
- Behind the FTP server, enter the IP address of the server that you want to use to create a connection.
- Go to Connection type and select from the drop down list.
- Select the port that you want to use for the communication. Port 21 is automatically preselected.
- Activate the checkbox Use FTP passive mode when needed.
- If required, enter the log-in details (username and/or password) of the user. Depending on the configuration of your FTP server, this step is optional. An upload can also be performed without a username or password.
- If these details are already saved in the FTP server's subdirectory, enter the subdirectory's path.
- You can check if the login details work by clicking on Check. If no success, the job will fail as well.
If necessary, you may have to enable the port set in step 3 in your firewall.
With these login details, you should be able to access the subdirectory. versiondog supports up to 10 sub-directories per job.
Only when you enter the subdirectory, not only will the entire path on the FTP server in the backup be displayed, but also the most recent directory in the path:
Path on the FTP server: /file1/subdirectory1/*
Composition of backup: Archive.zip/*
If you enter multiple subdirectories, the entire directory structure will be included in the backup.
Path on the FTP server: /file1/subdirectory1/subdirectory2 and /file1/subdirectory1/1234
Composition of backup: Archive.zip/directory1/subdirectory1/subdirectory2 and archive.zip/directory1/subdirectory1/1234
Activate the Upload only when timestamp is different (reduces network load) checkbox. The time stamp instead of the content of the files will be checked. This will ensure that only new and edited files are uploaded for the backup; files without changes will be taken over from the previous backup. This will further limit network traffic.
Section file specifications and compare settings
Normally, comparisons are executed using compare settings of the component. Job specific modifications can be made in this section.
The table shows the set compare and save behavior.
- Activate the Enable custom configuration for this job checkbox.
- Click on Edit.
- Set new parameters for the comparison and save process in the new open window.
Configuring a timeout
When uploading large amounts of data, a timeout may occur despite the default time being preset at 30 minutes. This timeout can be adjusted globally for all upload types or each upload type separately. To adjust the maximum time for job execution according to the upload type, proceed as follows:
- Start the AdminClient and open the Jobs module.
- In the menu, click on Job settings.
- The window Upload specific configuration will then open.
- Select the upload type in the navigation bar on the left.
- Select the checkbox Use specific timeout for this upload type.
- In the Maximum time for job execution field, enter the time period in minutes. The maximum possible value is 540 minutes.
If you do not select the checkbox Use specific timeout for this upload type, the next time you change the global timeout, the value set here will be overwritten by the global one.
Alternatively you can adjust the timeout via the INI file Classes.ini (..\<vdArchive>\VD$A\Configuration\Upload\Classes.ini). For more information, see the INI files section, located in the AdminClient tutorial.
The value entered in the Upload type specific configuration window will then be copied into the INI file.
FAQ: When I created a backup using a backup job via the upload class FTP, an error arises. What do I need to change to fix this error?
There are two solutions to solve the problem mentioned above: